Monday, October 30, 2017

Newsletter: "B. K. Matilal: The Past and Future of the Study of Indian Philosophy”



Although this blog is mainly an excuse for me to geek out about science fiction (philosophically, of course), occasionally I like to post about my professional academic philosophy endeavors (although I would like to think the study of Indian philosophy will continue far into the future!).  Here's something I've been working on over the past several months that I'm excited to announce!
I have co-edited, along with Prasanta Bandyopadhyay, the Fall 2017 edition of the APA Newsletter on Asian and Asian-American Philosophers and Philosophies.  The theme of the issue is “B. K. Matilal: The Past and Future of the Study of Indian Philosophy.”  I am happy to announce that the issue is now available!

The issue contains the following articles.
  • "An Exemplary Indian Intellectual: Bimal Krishna Matilal," Jonardon Ganeri
  • "Philosophy, Indian and Western: Some Thoughts from Bimal Matilal," Chakravarthi Ram-Prasad
  • "Bimal Krishna Matilal's Style of Doing Philosophy," Richard Hayes
  • "Three Dogmas of Matilal: Direct Realism, Lingophilia, and Dharma Ethics," Purushottama Bilimoria
  • "A Cautionary Note on Matilal's Way of Doing Indian Philosophy," Nirmalya Narayan Chakraborty
  • "Whither the Matilal Strategy?," Ethan Mills
  • "Nyāya Ethical Theory," Kisor K. Chakrabarti
  • "Bimal Krishna Matilal and the Enduring Significance of the Constructive Engagement Between Contemporary Analytic and Classical Indian Philosophy," Anand Jayprakash Vaidya
  • "Expanding Matilal's Project through First-Person Research," Neil Sims
I am extremely thankful to my co-editor and the contributors.  I think it turned out really well (although I may be biased, of course).
You can download the newsletter here.
[Cross-posted to the Indian Philosophy Blog].

No comments:

Post a Comment